In this day before my International Global Studies essay is due (an essay, I should remark, that I've barely started), I find myself questioning the authenticity of the 'blogging' world or how the concept in itself has evolved in such a proliferated rate.
I started blogging near the latter part of 2009, as an outlet maybe, an exclamation to the world, a dialogue with myself; for the rambling angst of a 13 year old girl. There was never any end-goal, never a constant monitoring of blog statistics (although a blogger would be lying if they said they didn't expect anyone to read their blog), en bref, never a desire for the blog to mean anything more than an online documentation of spur-of-the-moment musings.
At times I feel like blogging in this age has become tainted by the mass pursuits of young somethings like myself who want to amass the same attention and publicity as what some might regard as 'blogging greats' - the ones who lead jet-set lifestyles, who flood their Instagrams with sponsored designer goods, the ones who are flown to the global fashion show meets; I'm sure you know a couple.
Although by no means should these pursuits be regarded as futile (and I don't excuse myself for partaking in some of these), I think the large majority lack the authenticity that made these initial 'blogging greats' so successful. We now live in framework dominated by "like for likes", "follow for follow", "tags for likes", "subscribe now". I understand that self-promotion is a necessary means to an end, but I've always felt (call me lame) that things should be done with intrinsic meaning to oneself.
We should be doing something because of the process, rather than deluding ourselves with the end-goal. To some, this type of 'life logic' isn't always applicable; I know many who used an absolute goal as constant motivation for something else - whether it be setting a desired ATAR as your desktop or planning for yourself a thirty year plan to become a CEO of some type.
Life is never linear enough that a certain set of planned actions will allow you to obtain a goal (although take this with a pinch of salt, I'm a barely two decade old human being). The adjustments, the luck, the perceptions of the time all factor into how and when you obtain a broad goal. On the same strain, we shouldn't be limiting the content we produce on our blogs to conform into just one model - who says you can't have both a food and fashion blog? Who says that you can't write about your personal life events? Who says that you can't upload the odd rant against humanity every once in a while?
Well there's some procrastinatory food for thought.
Over and out.
xx