Sunday, 6 July 2014

Game of Thrones Exhibition

Wow what a day. 
DSC_0539
Going on the third opening day of the free exhibition at the Museum of Contemporary Art, Helena and I (amongst some uni friends I happened to bump into on the day), waited a staggering six and a half hours to get into this small, but far from underwhelming exhibition.



DSC_0481 DSC_0475 DSC_0487
Honestly, the line stretched on forever. I thought I had developed this incredible ability to withstand waiting in a line for long durations of time but I was tested during the course of the day. Let's stress this again, I did nothing but stand in a line for more than six hours. That's longer than my average shift of work, longer than an average day of uni, longer than the wait time for the rides at Universal Studios Japan on a weekend.

Anyway, our duration waiting meant that progressively as the sun set, patience thinned accordingly; but as soon as we started moving, we figured we may as well suck it up considering we had already gotten this far. Amusingly, I left the line several times to get snacks, pee or just have a wander; and on these occasions, I always asked Helena if she wanted to come with me, to which she always replied "if I leave this line, I'm never coming back in it".
DSC_0479 DSC_0492 DSC_0490
However by the time we reached the home stretch of the line, where the entrance was in sight and the pathway and trees were illuminated with a blue light, the momentum began to pick up. Outwardly I was dying from the brisk weather and looked about ready to pass out, but inwardly I was pretty damn giddy to get in and finally see all the props and costumes and production design of this grand show.
DSC_0494 GoT Exhibition MCA Illuminated Trees My fellow comrades inconceivably managed to remain perky right till the very end, even engaging in a brief rendition of the opening theme for the show just moments prior getting let in. DSC_0495 And then into the exhibition we go!

There are little words to describe the surreal feeling of being in the exhibition. Seeing these costumes and props should by no means engender someone to be as giddy and excited as I was, but there was something almost magical, almost Disneyland-esque about the exhibition. These designs, the storyboards, the amount of detail that goes into each stitch of garment, each sketch, each set design; was absolutely incredible.

Although there were moments of doubt, the six and half hour wait was well and truly worth it.
DSC_0507 DSC_0514 GoT Dany DSC_0510 DSC_0521 DSC_0524 DSC_0527 DSC_0529 DSC_0533 DSC_0537 DSC_0562 DSC_0556 DSC_0554 DSC_0557 GoT Margaery Dress DSC_0566 GoT Joffrey and Cersei GoT Jaime Brienne GoT Weaponry DSC_0568 DSC_0580
In all honesty, my photos don't do the exhibition justice. A part of me wishes that I wasn't almost in this half-hearted need to rush off (mainly because I really needed to get home and I also hadn't consumed anything all day except a large cup of Coke Zero and half a packet (?) of regular fries). But then again I'm thankful I lugged Joe out so I can read the text and descriptions of generally everything I photographed (and I recorded and photographed everything).

But the feeling of being there whilst Rains of Castamere eerily plays through the exhibit, or the warmth, or the ridiculously realistic 4D simulation of ascending the wall; is all a fan could ask for really.
DSC_0573 DSC_0572 GoT Helena And then here's me on the Iron Throne, take #2:
DSC_0578